Monday, November 16, 2009

Kindle and Autism

Since our kids are more visual communicators, a touch screen device may make a handy communication device. I wanted to see If this new sensation that is expected to replace books ( I have my doubts though ..) could help our kids communicate. So Googling around I found this nice site where there was a  discussion on its utility.
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/01/whats-the-best/comment-page-1/#comments . Its a discussion that started on a simple and apt question,

What’s the Best Computer for an Autistic Child?  

Though they felt Kindle was not the solution, I do believe that it was targeted at a specific use of the device by the child's mom. They have not looked at it as a communication device. For instance have a schedule board, a communication board, a choice board .. all onto the Kindle. Will that help? I am sure that might, esp since you can carry it around. I don't know the exact functionality of the device and so will comment more on it as I read about it.  So use it more like an output device and not as an Input device.


1 comment:

  1. As I posted the post and continued reading, I realized that Kindle ver 2.0 is not a touch screen eBook reader. It also does not support color. It is assumed that the ver 3.0 is likely to be a touch screen one. So the utility may be limited for kids with mortar difficulties. However a large portable screen that switches on fast could be a handy ( but expensive ) communication folder. There was also a very nice blog that listed advantages and disadvantages of using a Kindle even for regular book readers.
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/02/25/10-reasons-to-buy-a-kindle-2-and-10-reasons-not-to/
    There are always two sides of a coin and for parents battling Autism, any aid that makes life easy is welcome. I see lot of potential. We need to adapt it in the way that it suits our kids.

    ReplyDelete

Stats